With broken apps and tethered jailbreak, Apple’s latest iOS 5.x is certainly not for everyone. Keeping this in mind, TinyUmbrella developer Notcom has released a new tool TinyCFW (for both Mac and Windows) that helps in downgrading the iPad 2 and iPhone 4 back to the iOS 4.3.3 firmware.
According to NotCom, this nifty tool was developed earlier for a friend who wanted to downgrade his iPad 2 from iOS 5.0 to the iOS 4.3.3 to retain untethered Jailbreak.
TinyCFW has been tested for downgrading an iPhone 4 and iPad 2 GSM running iOS 5.0.1 to iOS 4.3.3 without getting stuck in a 1015 recovery loop. But the tool only works if you have already saved 4.3.3 SHSH before since Apple is no longer signing 4.3.3.
Before you download TinyCFW you must know what it does and what it doesn’t.
- Modifies an existing IPSW for an iPad 2 GSM/CDMA or iPhone 4 GSM/CDMA
- Updates to latest Baseband
- It creates an IPSW that can be used with TinyUmbrella and iTunes to restore to a old firmware for which you have already saved SHSH blobs.
- Supports only iPad 2 OR iPhone 4. It will not work on first generation iPad or iPhone 3GS or iPhone 3G.
- It won’t help you in jailbreaking or unlocking. Neither will it help in preserving the iPad 2 or iPhone 4 baseband.
How to use TinyCFW to revert to iOS 4.3.3 from iOS 5.x
Step 2: Rename tinycfw-0.1.jar to tinycfw.jar. Launch the application by double click on the jar or run the .exe file. You computer must have java installed and at least 2.5 GB RAM. In case you’re having problem in running the EXE file, perform the steps below:
- Navigate to Start – Control Panel – System – Advanced system settings Advanced (tab) and click on “Environment Variables”
- Under “User variables..” click on “New”. Then add :
- For Variable name = _JAVA_OPTIONS
- For Variable value = -Xmx1g
Step 3: A new window comes up, click the top button and choose an IPSW for which you have SHSHs for. Here we have chosen iPad 2 4.3.3 SHSH blobs.
Step 4: TinyCFW app will scan it and tell you the firmware and baseband versions in the IPSW you selected and the firmware and baseband versions that will be in the target IPSW when you click the second button.
Step 5: Now click ‘Save Target IPSW’. Within a minute or two, a new IPSW will be created named:
<your original ipsw name>.bbupdate.ipsw.
This custom IPSW can be used with iTunes and TinyUmbrella to restore iPad2 GSM/CDMA to iOS 4.3.3 (if you have 4.3.3 SHSH). You can even restore to older firmware if you have already saved SHSH blobs.
And there you have it, you’ve downgraded back to good ol’ iOS 4.3.3. If something went wrong, feel free to ask me on twitter. TinyCFW is still in its very early stage but notcom has confirmed to add the functionality in upcoming jailbreak tool TinyPwn.