Apple today announced the most anticipated mobile operating system – iOS 6 featuring more than 200 new features with enhancements to its digital voice assistant.
iOS 6 Features
- Siri can now do sports scores, stats. standings, and schedules. Enhancements to data on restaurants…in-Siri reviews from Yelp, reservations.
- Siri knows movie theater listings, integrates with Rotten Tomatoes reviews, trailers. Siri can even launch apps: “Play Temple Run.”
- New feature “Eyes Free”. Car manufacturers to add Siri button on steering wheel. BMW, GM, Mercedes, Toyota, Honda in next 12 months. New Siri languages support will be added – English/French for Canada, Spanish for Spain/Mexico/U.S., Italian, Korean. Local search coming around the world.
- Siri coming to the new iPad
- Facebook integrated with App Store: like apps, movies, TV, music. See what your friends like. Facebook contact integration as well.
- Enhancements to Phone app. New slider button to reply with messages or set up reminders to call back. Do Not Disturb mode. Users can set Do Not Disturb schedule and fine tune contacts who can bypass it when they call/message.
- FaceTime now works over cellular. Unifies phone number and Apple ID. Incoming FaceTime calls to phone number can be answered on Mac.
- Safari for iOS: Adding iCloud tabs, offline Reading List, upload photos right in Safari, smart app banners for sites to advertise their apps.
- Web site can even tell app what the user was doing, so they can jump right in where they left off. Also adding full-screen landscape mode.
- Photo Stream: New shared streams, easy way to share with friends. Everyone can comment. Friends get push notifications for new photos.
- Mail: VIPs…incoming emails can show on lock screen, separate mailbox to find easily. Easier insertion of photos and videos. Pull to refresh.
- New app: Passbook. Handles tickets and boarding passes, customer loyalty/discount cards, movie ticket apps, etc. Geolocation…when you’re near Starbucks, card pops up. Cards are live too…if airline gate changes, virtual boarding pass will alert you.
- Next feature: Guided Access. Increasing accessibility, esp for autistic…can just circle app controls to disable them. Single-app mode.
- Maps. Entirely new from the ground up, all cartography done by Apple. 100 million business listings worldwide
- Yelp integrated into business listing. Includes traffic service with incident reports, etc…anonymous, real-time, crowd-sourced.
- Turn-by-turn navigation. Find a destination, tap “quick route” and you’re on your way. Monitors traffic and can re-route.
- Works from lock screen, integrates with Siri. Can ask Siri for gas stations, ask “Are we there yet?” to get time estimate, etc.
- “Flyover”: Apple has been flying over cities to build 3D photographic models. Vector-based maps with zoom, rotate, etc.
- Rotate to see sides of buildings, use satellite view, switch back to 2D, all very smooth and rendered in real time.
- New “Lost Mode” for Find My iPhone. Can send a phone number to the phone…allows finder to tap to call back.
These are just few of the over 200 new features in iOS 6. Game Center score challenges, new privacy controls, redesigned stores, etc. iOS 6 is a great release for all of our devs. And it’s available for developers today. It will ship this Fall. Will support 3GS and later, 2nd gen iPad.