The iPhone Dev Team has pushed a landmark update to all its jailbreaking tools redsn0w 0.9.12b1, PwnageTool 5.1.1 and cinject 0.5.4 (CLI – OS X/ Windows) which now include the rocky-racoon jailbreak and untether developed by eminent hackers’ @pod2g and @planetbeing. The dev team also updated its Ultrasn0w 1.2.7 unlock tool.
In case you have already untethered your redsn0w jailbreak using rocky-racoon without any issue, there is absolutely no need to re-install it. Users who are running into issues during the jailbreaking process can try redsn0w 0.9.12b1. Lead hacker Eric McDonald (aka Musclenerd) has clarified that the vulnerability used in the latest version of Redsn0w is exactly the same as being used in Absinthe 2.0.x, cinject-0.5.3, and the rocky-racoon Cydia package. Only the method of mounting the jailbreak onto the iOS device differs.
Since the jailbreak is untethered, you can simply reboot without any need to connect to computer to re-jailbreak, in case your battery drains out or you accidentally reboots it. Musclenerd has added lots of feature to the jailbreak tool. Redsn0w 0.9.12b1 allows owners of A4+earlier devices to install rocky-racoon two different ways:
- Backup/restore method similar to Absinthe and cinject utility
- Its traditional limera1n-based ramdisk install. If you have a lot of media on your A4 device (music, movies, TV shows, etc), then the ramdisk method is preferrred because it avoids any possibility of later problems related to syncing to iCloud (including Photo Stream and Music Match). The ramdisk method is not available for A5 devices or later because limera1n can’t be used. If you’d like to use redsn0w’s ramdisk method, just be sure to put the A4 device in DFU or Recovery mode before starting redsn0w (otherwise it will immediately start to use the backup/restore method).
Lots of iPhone users who unlocked their device using SAM unlock method, did not used Absinthe jailbreak, with a fear that their iPhone could be locked again. Keeping those users in mind, the Dev team has added support for SAM unlock tickets into Redsn0w 0.9.12b1. With the latest version, users can now include their SAM tickets as part of their initial ramdisk jailbreak of iPhone 4 or iPhone 3GS. iPhone unlockers can alternatively upload their SAM tickets to any device after its been jailbroken.
Redsn0w 0.9.12b1 now accepts either individual SAM activation ticket plist file, or the entire zip file created by redsn0w’s “Backup” button. As usual, redsn0w continues to cover all of its previous jailbreaks and untethers (so redsn0w-0.9.12b1 covers everything from 5.1.1 all the way back to 4.1).
Just to re-iterate, following is the list of devices and firmware which can be jailbroken using the Redsn0w 0.9.12b1 on Windows, Mac OS X.
Supported Devices on (iOS 4.1 to 5.1.1)
- iPhone 4S, iPhone 4 (GSM + CDMA) and iPhone 3GS
- iPod touch 4G and iPod touch 3G
- iPad 3, iPad 2 and iPad 1G: All three models (WiFi, GSM, CDMA)
- Apple TV2
Download Redsn0w 0.9.12b1 for Mac and Windows
Users can download Redsn0w 0.9.12b1 from our download page