Absinthe 2.0, the userland jailbreak for iOS 5.1.1 is finally released to public for download. Chronic Dev team has packaged the new untethered jailbreak solution into Absinthe 2.0 which will work on Windows and Mac OS, and works with any iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch on firmware 5.1.1. However, iPad 2, “The New iPad” (iPad 3) and iPhone 4S users must update their device to 5.1.1. It’s a quick, easy, one-click process. The announcement of release was made few minutes back on the Chronic Dev-Team blog.
On the other hand, hackers at iPhone Dev Team have packaged the untether exploit into command line CLI (cinject 0.5.3 Rocky-Racoon) tool that will assist them in diagnosing issues (such as – iTunes errors, boot issues and other recovery loop problems) that may arise during the jailbreak process. Once the issues are ironed out completely, the solution will be packaged into redsn0w tool for stable and clean jailbreak.
And yes! Absinthe 2.0 jailbreak is Untethered. It means that the user does not need to plug the device into their computer every time their device loses battery power or needs to be rebooted, as opposed to “tethered”, which requires this.
Supported Devices and Firmware
Supported Devices on 5.1.1 (9B206)
- iPhone 4S, iPhone 4 (GSM + CDMA) and iPhone 3GS
- iPod touch 4G and iPod touch 3G
- iPad 3, iPad 2 and iPad 1G: All three models (WiFi, GSM, CDMA)
- Apple TV2
- iPad 2,4 support will be added in subsequent releases.
- Setup your device before using Absinthe 2.0 tool.
- Users can safely upgrade their device to 5.1.1 now if they haven’t. This is done by downloading a stock IPSW from Apple and applying it with iTunes (preferably, the latest version of iTunes). iOS 5.1 is not supported, however.
- If you rely on your unlock or want the safest possible way to upgrade without losing your unlock, wait for updated Redsn0w tool. If you have got factory unlocked iPhone 4S, iPhone 4 or iPhone 3GS in hand, just update through iTunes and jailbreak iOS 5.1.1 with Absinthe 2.0, since your unlock is not dependant on firmware.
- People looking to jailbreak their iDevice on iOS 5.0.1 or 5.1.1 are strongly advised to make back-ups of their data before installing Absinthe 2.0. Since no serious bug has been spotted during beta testing, chances are minimal that serious issues will arise out of it.
- The Absinthe 2.0 only supports iOS 5.1.1 jailbreak (untethered), and doesn’t preserve / provide carrier unlocks.
Download Absinthe 2.0 Jailbreak for Mac and Windows
You can download Absinthe 2.0 (direct links) from our dedicated download page.
Note: Due to an overwhelming amount of traffic, you may incur difficulties in downloading the Absinthe 2.0. Meanwhile, we will be adding mirror links as and when available to us.
To make things crystal clear for everyone, Follow guides on how to jailbreak 5.1.1 using Absinthe 2.0.
- How to Jailbreak iPad 3/2/1G on iOS 5.1.1 using Absinthe v2.0
- How to Jailbreak iPhone 4S/4/3GS on iOS 5.1.1 using Absinthe v2.0
For any error you face during jailbreak, please post them in comment section below.